You Only Live Once, This Is How I'm Doing It!

Top 10 most “catchy” songs

Or: The one that makes you want to stab yourself in the ear with a pencil

I love fun, upbeat music. However, some songs are so catchy they ought to be in the same classification as herpes. You never get rid of them. Ever.

Here’s my top 10 list of songs that should be classified as STDs:

10. Blue (Da Ba Dee) – Eiffel 65

Confession: When I was a teenager this was my very favorite song. It still kind of is. Funny story about it though, my dad is extremely conservative. He didn’t want me to listen to it because he said the lyrics were about being depressed. I argued that no, it was in fact about actual blue people. He didn’t believe me until I went online and found the music video. After I played it for him I was allowed to listen to the song. Win.

9. Around the World – ATC

Actually I kind of like this song too but it definitely hangs around your head for awhile.

8. Can’t Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue

This song does warn you in the title so I guess it’s your own fault if you can’t, in fact, get it out of your head.

7. Barbie Girl – Aqua

The cutest annoying song ever. Actually all Aqua songs could probably go on this list. That would be really boring though.

6. Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus

I hate that I love this song. Miley Cyrus drives me crazy and yet when this song comes on the radio I can’t help but turn it up and dance. Then it’s stuck in my head all day. Bah.

5. Dragostea Din Tei – O-Zone

I have a story about this song too. I went to Romania in 2004 with my Au Pair family. While I was there I discovered this fun, catchy tune. I bought the single (with like 6 mixes) and planned to show it off as cool European music when I got back to the States. Unfortunately, once I got back I found out that the song was old news because some dumb kid’s video mocking the song went viral. ::sigh::

4. I like to Move It – Madagascar

Kids cartoons are great for catchy yet annoying songs that you love to hate, aren’t they?

3. The Picard Song

Obviously Joel was the first person to play this for me. Obviously. It’s one that I find myself humming in the shower every once in awhile. I wish I were kidding.

2. Hamster Dance

Oh my this song. Actually when I hear it all I think of is Disney’s Robin Hood.

1. We Like to Party (Venga Bus) – Vengaboys

The official song of Six Flags Great America. How do I know? Because we bought season passes and now this song will be in my head for the rest of my life.

There you have it. That is, if you’ve lasted this long without stabbing out your eardrums. Have any other incredibly catchy songs that should have made the list?

36 Responses to “Top 10 most “catchy” songs”

1. Kirsten says:

Here’s what I think when I think of the songs on your list:

10. “I’m blue, I’m in need of a guy” remember when that’s what people were singing?
    9. Well, I thought of “Around the World,” by Daft Punk, which is also a very catchy song & was from one of my favorite cds from high school. lol
    8. Yeah, whenever I hear it, I can’t get it out of my head for a while. It’s a good thing I listened to a bunch of other songs that I won’t be able to get out of my head! ;-)
    7. Hated that song… not good for teenage girls to be singing. :-
    6. Never heard the song. I try to stay away from Miley… lol
    5. Haha! I’m glad that guy was having fun!!
    4. Ok, I love the Madagascar movies… that song always makes me want to MOVE IT!!
    3. Interesting… lol
    2. Ok, have you ever seen the video that makes fun of women drivers? This song is the background music. So, I always laugh when I hear this!
    1. My favorite of all of them. When I went to Mexico in 2004 we did a dance to this song. I will still admit that it was really fun. (I wish I remembered the footing! haha!!)

…and of course I can’t think of any others right now, but when I do… and I mean when, lol… I’ll let you know! ;-)

2. skywaitress says:

Kirsten, epic comment. I loved it.

I don’t know if I ever heard anyone make fun of Blue like that. That’s hilarious tho.

You are lucky you’ve never heard the Miley Cyrus one. I wish I hadn’t but it’s on the radio all the time.

The Madagascar song is really fun, I admit. Definitely make you want to dance.

I have seen the women driver video. I hadn’t thought of that. That song has been used a lot, hasn’t it?

Finally, I really liked Vengabus. However, it literally has been constantly in my head for a couple weeks now. That’s enough to drive anyone crazy and I wasn’t 100% sane to begin with. ;)

Looking forward to seeing your additions to the list :)

3. Nichole says:

You are just cruel. I will have this horrible medley in my head all day now! ;)

• skywaitress says:

Yeah I definitely was regretting choosing to write it. Halfway through I actually had to pause because searching for all these songs made me want to slam my head into a wall. Repeatedly.

Which one is stuck in your head?

• Rob says:

YOu can always unhearit using the site with the same name :D

4. Chrystal says:

Those are all awesome. Now I'm singing Blue. Hmmm….

What about MMM-Bop? We like to party? (Venga bus?) I'll keep thinking… :)

• Chrystal says:

Oops! Apparently "We like to party" was already stuck in my head! LOL
      Spice Girls gets stuck in my head a lot.

• SkyWaitress says:

Oh yeah MMM Bop! That is definitely an honorable mention. The Spice Girls too. Especially Wannabe.

And yeah, Venga Bus made number one for a reason. That song sticks in your head forever!

5. crazy says:

crazy by knarls barkley is stuck in my head forever!!! (I remember when, I remember I remember when I lost my mind…)

6. Bishope says:

don't forget "Im too sexy" that one I would find myself humming in my head and have to give it a shake…..still gives me shivers

7. Anna says:

I have had that Rebecca Black "song", Friday, in my head for two days! i googled "catchy songs" just to try to get another one in my head. Thanks for the list. That helped!

8. GGA says:

you should add <Boom de ya da> :))

9. tsizzle says:

all I know is safety dance by men without hats has been stuck in my head alllllllll dayy! Add that.

10. PAUL JAMES says:

HEY YOUR SECOND SONG is not playing, must be a blue da boo die – d on youtube!

11. Hi there i Think it would be only fair to give a mention to the songs by Rik Gaynor, and Rik & Nik i mean can you imagine being on holiday without Rik Gaynor summer party dance songs, there are loads on youtube not sure if i can post here or not? anyway Summer Hols without Rik Gaynor songs would be like having xmas without carols, it is a tradition in Europe lol, Rik Gaynor founder member of Rik Gaynor produced wrote and recorded most of the crazy party dance songs that are played in every holiday park in Europe, Haven Holidays really go to town on his songs as specialy the brand spanking new Funky Funstars Song, specially written for the Funstars by Rik Gaynor, other songs include The Mexican Wave, The Caribbean Way, The Court Of King Caractacus,Chu Chu ua, Chocalate (chocco chocco), The Purple People Eater, The Best Dance Of All Time and many many more! i shall put a web site up here so if for some strange bizzarre reason you have never heard the songs of Rik Gaynor and Rik and Nik you can have a listen.

12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuY_dO70bk

ohh found a way now so here is A Rik and Nik song…it's the finger song…..yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

13. Lauren says:

Friday- Rebecca Black should definitely be in the top 5.

14. anna says:

most catchy songs for girls under 15 years old. all the songs are for little girl’s music-taste. whats about daft punk, sharam, some oldys?

15. Dorian says:

Just thought I’d add a little background to your number 2.

The reason you think of Disney’s Robin Hood when you hear the Hamsterdance song is because it’s actually a sped-up sample of Roger Miller’s song “Whistle Stop” which was used in that movie. Roger Miller did the voice for the rooster minstrel.

16. made my way to your webpage from yahoo and and am glad i found it, hope you keep up the good work

17. Redpixie says:

ok… what about Maroon 5 “Moves like jagger”? That song gets stuck in my head like gum on a shoe.

18. Sully says:

That was a really good list, I think all those songs are really catchy, but my top 10 would probably be totally different, you should check out, Girls Generation – Gee, and Jasmine – Lips, they arent in english though

19. Messinho says:

Chick Habit by April March is better than everything on this list

20. Roz says:

nice list!!! blue and we like 2 party r epic!!another damn catchy song would be asereje or the ketchup song even though u dont understand almost nething it stays in ur head…

21. Tamara says:

Mahna mahna by the Muppets FOR SURE

22. jeffffffflljabn says:

when i think of ‘catchy’ music, i mostly think of like eminem and rihanna and nicki minaj songs, bur your faves for catchy music is like for 9 year old, we all have a different taste i guess:L

23. 87? says:

i think boom boom by vengaboys should definitely be on this list

24. Lewis says:

How about ‘Still Alive’, from Portal? That’s been stuck in my head since the game was released.

25. Marucitaa_Malaa says:

Don’t Forget “Asereje” By Las Ketchup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAAwjvVCHhk

26. shobhit says:

really a nice head stucking list…..but this is l”l bit old… i just can’t remove ‘Let it go’ by david davidoff from mind..

27. Joe Schlek says:

What about witch doctor?

28. Ruben says:

ANIN’T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

29. bellaaa. says:

Well my faves though..

1. Smallpools -Dreaming
    2. Max forth – white lies
    3. Macklemore × ryan lewis ft. Wanz – thrift shops
    4. Deptford Goth – Union
    5. Cody simpson – La Da dee
    6. Coasts – oceans
    7. Grouplove -ways to love
    8. The kooks – Naïve
    9. Joywaves – tongues (ft. Kopps)
    10. Firehorse – bloodstream